Hi,... I’m Jerrald Hayes, and I design and build websites and database solutions for small businesses.
If you think your business needs some help, needs analysis, or if you have a project already in mind whether it’s a website design, a FileMaker database solution or whatever, let’s talk.
The Things I Do…
I Am The “Chief Cook & Bottle Washer” At The Small Business Systems Co.
We help Small Business owner with:
• Custom Responsive Web Design
• FileMaker Pro Business Database Applications for
Mac, Windows, iOS devices and the Web
• Strategic Business Plan Development,
• Business Systems, and
• Banding & Marketing Solutions.
What and Who I Am As A Business Management & Software Consultant & Coach
What and Who I Am As A Builder Remodeler and Artisan Carpenter Mason & Painter
Some More Miscellaneous Websites Where I Blog or Personally Run & Maintain…
I am the developer of The Capacity Based Markup Worksheet
For contractors and anyone running a service businesses type of operation where you are selling your services and or expertise by the hour the The Capacity Based Markup Workbook answers the big huge questions so many small business owners have…’
How Much Should I Charge?
The Capacity Based Markup Workbook is an Excel Workbook for assigning Labor Burden to help the user correctly determine a Loaded Labor Rate and/or an appropriate Labor Markup for Contractors Using a Capacity Based Markup Methodology (aka PROOF/Indexed/Labor Allocated Overhead).
Since 2004 thousands of contractors have downloaded and used the The Capacity Based Markup Workbook to help them figure out a hourly labor rate based on their real financial numbers and not just guesswork.
In non-contractor speak the workbook can be used by any service type business where you need to accurately figure out a hourly rate to charge for your and your employees.
The Introduction Worksheet provides a basic overview of the spreadsheet’s framework and navigation links to the individual worksheets.
The Labor Cost Worksheet
With the Labor Cost Worksheet in the yellow shaded data entry cells you set the wage rates, and then the costs that make up your Labor Burden i.e. the employer costs such as benefit costs, and other miscellaneous Variable Overhead expenses you want to cover such as car and/or truck payments, vehicle maintenance, small tools, etc.
The Billable vs. Non-Billable Hours Worksheet
On the Billable vs. Non-Billable Worksheet you account for items such as paid holidays vacation time, training, downtime and other non-billable but paid hours that you and your employees will generate.
The Fixed Overhead Costs Worksheet
With the fixed Overhead Worksheet you enter you cost or budgets for all of your Fixed Overhead items such as Capital Tools, General Office Expenses, Marketing, Insurance , Professional Fees, Local & Regional Business Taxes., Loan Payments, Contingency, Owners Compensation, Sales Cost and the Net Profit you want your business to generate.
The General Summary Information Worksheet
The General Summary Information Worksheet displays the calculated Labor Billing Rates for you and your employees along with a breakdown based on all of the entered data as to what your costs and projected Net Profit are per employee and/or per hour, per day, per week, per month or per year.
The Owners Information Worksheet
And after setting up and answering the questions in the yellow shaded cells the Owners Information Worksheet displays the Owner’s Compensation package based on all the data entered.
Do you think the Capacity Based Markup Workbook can help you figure out …
How Much Should I Charge?
Need some help, coaching, and consulting getting all your business information together to enter in the WorkBook?
I Can Help You With That Too.
A Closer “Case Study” Look at the NorthEasternHomes.com.
To create a Online Home & Garden Magazine and Resource Directory Website
- Provide communities with articles and stories of interest that give them ideas and introduce them to local architects designers and contractors.
- A free listing to building and remodeling home and garden professionals contractors and suppliers that can be upgraded to preferred positions in the directory and/or a variety of banner or badge advertisements running alongside the websites articles.
- Sponsorships of key articles and pages on the website,
- Local contractors that don’t have a web presence can create a small website or webpage with the address www.NortheasternHomes.com/~CompanyName so they can at least be found when a consumer uses the web like a yellow pages phone directory
House & Garden Articles
Communities With Resource Directories
Huge Potential for Growth
A Closer “Case Study” Type Look at The Building & Remodeling Project Management Wiki
In the Building & Remodeling Industry we often see two different instances of the same problem.
- Trades people who start their own business while often very skilled in their respective fields, i.e. carpentry, plumbing electrical, etc. they often lack the understand and/or training in the realm of just what it takes to run a business and don’t have the knowledge and concepts such as cash flow vs. revenue or gross profit vs. net profit etc.
- There is also an epidemic case of “Accidental Project Manager* Syndrome” where Lead Carpenters, Superintendents, and Construction Managers often have been “promoted” to their position with little or no training or education in actual trade skills of Project Management . (*see Patricia Ensworth’s The Accidental Project Manager: Surviving the Transition from Techie to Manager) and don’t understand the terms or concepts of critical path, dependency, float, and more.
Build a Wikipedia type website for Building and Remodeling Business and Project Management terminology, concepts, and methodologies and invite contributors and encourage discussion of the terms and topics.
Years of Study and Experience
Books & Articles Read & Researched
Terms/Topics in the Wiki
Thorough Knowledge Base
Do You Have a Website or Database Project You Would Like To Work With Me On?
If you have a project whether it a website design, FileMaker database solution, kitchen & bath remodel, staircase and railing, faux painting finish, or mural, theatrical set & lighting design or whatever let’s talk.